Innovation Award winners epitomize the best in payments and banking.
- AGS Transact Technologies Ltd: AGS’ transaction switching services cater to the needs of banks and other financial institutions across the payment transactions value chain. These services include assisting banks in the issuance of new cards, migrating their existing card base and the authorization of cards, enabling improved customer experience. The switching services are built around Postilion, ACI’s market-leading consumer payment solution.
- Ent Federal Credit Union: A leading Colorado, US-based credit union, Ent provides a full range of financial services. Creating a rich user experience in a cost-conscious manner is a must for the credit union. Ent’s innovative use of Architect, ACI’s single end-to-end solution for banking, mobile, marketing and administration, allowed it to efficiently execute on a mobile strategy that offered the same optimized experience to any Apple or Android device user. The immense popularity of its initiative is evident by the 66,000 active members that regularly use its site.
- Union Bank of India: A pioneering leader in implementing real-time, any to any payments solutions in the Asia Pacific region using BASE24, ACI’s award-winning electronic retail payment switch, Union Bank is committed to accelerating the conversion of cash to electronic payments. Its implementation of an Identity-enabled payment system highlights the importance it places on reaching the underserved through financial inclusion.
- AGS Transact Technologies Ltd: Banking and Payments Excellence Award - In response to the changing relationship between banks and customers due to the rapid adoption of mobile phones, AGS Transact Technologies Ltd utilized ACI’s Postilion suite to design Card Maintenance through SMS, providing customers a host of mobile-based card services through SMS.
- DBS Bank: Innovator of the Year Excellence Award & Wholesale Payments Excellence Award - DBS Bank developed its award-winning corporate internet and mobile banking payment platform, DBS IDEAL, with the help of ACI Universal Online Banker, providing customers with a single login to access account statements and securely initiate transactions on a real-time basis. To date, IDEAL serves over 162,000 corporate users in 104,000 institutions that access the platform across more than 100 countries, processing more than 40 million transactions annually.
- Dupont Community Credit Union: Online Banking Excellence Award - Three months after launching its online channel with both ACI’s Bill Payment and Architect Banking, 80 percent of the Dupont Community Credit Union’s active account holders adopted the online channel for its flexibility and ease-of-use, far exceeding goals.
- Federal Bank of India: Customer Service Excellence Award - Federal Bank leveraged ACI’s BASE24 to develop its Card Online Management and Inquiry Tool (COMIT) service, which enables the bank to better address customer demand for managing card parameters.
- Interswitch: Retail Payments Excellence Award - Prior to the emergence of electronic payments in Nigeria, transactions were solely cash-based, posing significant financial implications and economic challenges to both businesses and individuals. Driven to solve these challenges and with ACI’s Postilion as an enabling technology, Verve was launched by Nigeria’s leading integrated payment processing and transaction switching company, Interswitch. With the introduction of the Verve Chip + PIN card, both individuals and organizations have adopted electronic payments for their everyday transactions, and over 20 million Verve cards have been issued in Nigeria. Verve is the country’s most dominant card brand with a growing 60 percent market share.
- Quickteller: Product & Services Innovation Excellence Award - Quickteller, built with ACI’s Postilion, is a Value Added Service (VAS) platform that provides customers convenient and secure access to vital services via Web, ATM and Mobile. Powered by the Interswitch network, Quickteller offers customers efficient services that include funds transfers, bill payments and airtime recharge, in addition to seamless online ticket purchase. Quickteller is Nigeria’s fastest growing lifestyle enabler brand.
- IndusInd Bank: Operational Excellence Award - IndusInd Bank, which utilizes ACI BASE24, was recognized for three initiatives: Cash-on-Mobile service, which allows customers to withdraw or send money to a recipient by using only the recipient’s mobile number and allows the receiver to withdraw funds from any IndusInd Bank ATM without using any card; second, a service, which enables customers to change their ATM Pins via an Interactive Voice Response system; and third, Stop Cheque application, which streamlines the process through which customers can stop payment on checks.
- Lee County Electric Cooperative: Electronic Bill Pay & Presentment Excellence Award - Lee County Electric Cooperative, which utilizes ACI’s Electronic Bill Pay & Presentment (EBPP) Services, increased its convenient payment options from 2 to more than 20, leading to a 10 percent increase in customer satisfaction and $3 million in annual cost savings.
- TEB: Payments Fraud Excellence Award - As fraudsters develop new ways to unlawfully gain information about people and transactions, TEB, with the help of ACI Proactive Risk Manager, has worked to combat attacks while maintaining high levels of customer satisfaction and convenience.
- Merit Recognition recipients
- ABN AMRO: Retail Banking
- First Data: Product & Services Innovation
- Maybank: Operational Excellence
- UKRCard: Operational Excellence
- Union Bank of India: Overall ACI Excellence Award Winner - UBI’s Talking ATM has set a benchmark for accessible banking in India and provided financial access to the blind person in getting cash on their own at anytime. It has provided greater banking usability for the blind, illiterate and aged populations. The development of a configuration on BASE24 host end, made it possible to develop a bilingual Talking ATM solution that uses synthetic speech and requires no special ATM card/binto initiate speech mode. BASE24 host software has the capability to process the message data related to voice guidance and uses it to develop a config file download solution.
- Federal Bank of India: Product Innovation, Public Voting Winner - Federal Easy Gold is a new benchmark in the industry as far as loan against pledge of gold is considered. If customer convenience is the need, Easy Gold is the solution. It is an innovative scheme and the first of its kind in India. It is an overdraft facility against a pledge of gold that offers the comfort of withdrawing the loan amount using a debit card. The loan amount can be withdrawn through the ATMs of any bank/agency world over, or can be used to make merchant payments via POS (Point of Sale) terminals. Customers can also request for cheque book facility under the scheme.
- Mercantile Bank of Michigan: Mobile Banking and Payments Excellence - ACI’s efforts to build an industry leading mobile banking solution has exceeded our expectations, and given Mercantile a platform to build a mobile experience that rivals/exceeds that of many of the largest banks in the world. A well -designed native app user interface across iOS, Android, Black Berry platforms and especially the new tablet-specific layout has been generating a very positive response from our user base. Beyond that, the depth of features and functions within the new apps (including P2P, bill pay, and the upcoming RDC) can compete well with any FI offering.
- HDFC: Operational Excellence in Self-Service - HDFC's Green Pin Project - ending physical paper PIN mailers to customers for new cards or new PIN requests - was supported and delivered by integrating web services and BASE24. Green Pin is supported for instant PIN generation and bulk PIN generation. In both cases, the customer would receive a 6 digit “AUTH code” via SMS on their registered mobile number. This “AUTH code” has to be used along with the physical ATM card and customer’s mobile number at an HDFC Bank ATM (10,000+ across the country) to validate the customer. Then the customer can select an ATM PIN for further transactions.
- Bankart d.o.o: Operational Excellence in Fraud Management - Bankart, a large regional processor, faced competition from other processors within the local market. In order to successfully compete, Bankart realized it would have to offer increased levels of service to customers, particularly around the area of fraud prevention. Bankart also had to ensure that it would have robust processes and practices in place designed to meet the latest PCI DSS compliance requirements coming into force. To achieve these goals, Bankart implemented a tokenization service for their BASE24 authorization system to support the authentication and verification of card payments, at the same time replacing their existing fraud prevention service with the introduction of ACI Proactive Risk Manager, the first version 8.0 installation in the world.
- The Palmetto Bank: Customer Experience Excellence Award -As a community bank, we know well the challenges of keeping pace with the demands for new banking technology and being able to offer competitive solutions with other larger institutions in our market, which is why we partnered with ACI to help us complete a total upgrade of our self-service channels in 2012. The first driver of this move was that we were in need of an upgrade of our nearly 18 year-old voice system that we were running with our core provider. There was also an even greater need to be able to have a more comprehensive platform for our self-service banking channels that provided both the bank and our customers with a consistent user experience, which wasn’t currently possible with our disparate channels.
- Federal Bank in India: Federal Bank of India has implemented two distinct but related schemes designed to improve access to banking channels and to replace cash transactions with more efficient and cost effective electronic payments. The first project is a partnership with the newly established Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) to facilitate transactions from traditionally unbanked individuals by using their unique identifying number and biometric information. The second is India’s first implementation of the Visa Personal Payments service that allows Visa Debit cardholders to receive domestic and cross-border remittance payments in near real-time.
- Nationwide Building Society: In order to improve its fraud detection rates, minimize the impact of any fraud attempts on its customers, and to maintain its reputation for customer confidence and trust Nationwide Building Society undertook a number of enhancements to its implementation of Proactive Risk Manager from ACI Worldwide. By including richer, more comprehensive customer data and industry fraud alerts within Proactive Risk Manager’s rules and aggregates, and improving its real-time analysis and authorization functionality, Nationwide has created a highly sophisticated level of fraud detection that has placed the building society at the forefront of card fraud detection globally.
- HSBC Bank: HSBC Bank in the UK has relied on BASE24 to handle debit card transactions for more than twenty years. Over that time HSBC had developed more than 5,000 customisations to the core product, creating a system that took time, effort and expensive resources to respond to changing external requirements. To maximise investment already made in hardware, HSBC undertook a project to upgrade to the latest version of BASE24 and to use standard product for all MasterCard BankNet and VISA VisaNet interfaces enabling it to use standard ACI compliance mandate code making it easier and more cost effective to apply future fixes and upgrades.
- Hancock Bank: To offer its customers the best possible protection against fraudulent activity, Hancock Bank wanted to ensure that it was using Proactive Risk Manager from ACI Worldwide to its fullest capacity. Specifically, the bank wanted to reduce its rate of false positives on some of its alerts and to utilize its SQL database to recover data held by PRM for analysis following large-scale fraud incidents. After working with an ACI consultant, the bank was able to improve rule writing and reduce its false positive rate by 25 percent, thus enhancing customer relationships and improving the productivity of its in-house fraud analysts.
- Union Bank of India: Thanks to its huge population and rapidly growing economy the value of India’s domestic remittances was worth US$13 billion in 2010 and has an expected growth rate of 15 percent year on year. Of these remittances, 90 percent are channeled through banks. The Union Bank of India has created a one-stop shop for domestic, inter-bank remittances through its extensive network of ATMs. The solution gives customers the option of three distinct remittance services and enables them to send money to their chosen beneficiaries throughout the country using a familiar and convenient channel.
- Absa Bank: CashSend™, built using ACI’s BASE24® and BASE24-eps® solutions, allows ABSA customers to electronically transfer funds remotely via ATM, cell phone or online banking to anyone with an active cell phone number, even if they don’t have a bank account. The recipient is then able to withdraw cash, without needing a card or a bank account, from more than 5,000 ABSA ATMs.
- HDFC Bank: HDFC Bank’s Risk Control Unit hit upon the idea of generating revenue through cross sell opportunities using ACI Proactive Risk Manager™ for Enterprise Risk. The team recognized that customers were very happy to receive transaction verification calls. Sensing a potential business opportunity on high value sales, the unit used the verification phone call to offer customers the opportunity to convert transactions into in monthly installments, which generated revenue for the payment business.
- Union Bank of India: Banks are judged on customer centricity and their ability to efficiently serve customers needs. Union Bank of India wanted to bring true empowerment and freedom to customers. Union Bank customers can now create their own access to all alternate delivery channels such as online banking, mobile banking and phone banking without the need to approach the bank for help.
- Coast Capital Savings: In 2009, credit unions’ debit fraud losses increased by more than 200% over the previous year. With such a surge in fraud activity and with fraud losses increasing substantially, Coast Capital Savings (CCS) needed to respond quickly and decisively. The entire project, from requirements gathering to go-live took less than four months, and was completed six weeks ahead of schedule and below budget. CCS was able to develop a strategy that allowed it to go live with ACI Proactive Risk Manager™ during the testing phase of the project. This translated into a fraud loss reduction of nearly 40 percent compared to the previous three months. The savings resulting from Proactive Risk Manager allowed CCS to recover the project costs in only six months.
- And our highly commended entrants:
- The BENEFIT Company in Bahrain for the use of ACI Commerce Gateway for the National Payment Gateway.
- MasterCard in the U.S. for the use of BASE24-eps to implement the Transaction Filtering Rules component.
- UBS Card Center for the launch of prepaid cards in Switzerland using ACI Issuer.
- Qatar National Bank for enabling IPO subscription on ATMs using BASE24.